Proceedings for the appointment of a guardian of a minor shall be governed as follows:
- (A) A certified copy of the minor's birth certificate must be displayed to the Court with the guardianship application. A copy will be made by the Court and the original will be returned to the submitter.
- (B) The Court will not establish a guardianship solely for the purpose of school enrollment.
- (C) The Court will not establish any guardianship over the person of a minor where another Court has jurisdiction over custody of the minor.
- (D) When the minor has not been in Ohio for 6 months, the Court will not accept for filing an Application for Guardianship unless it is alleged that the minor has been
(1) abandoned (no contact) by the parents for more than 90 days,
(2) has a medical emergency, or
(3) the minor's "home state" has declined jurisdiction. (See Ohio's Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction Enforcement Act — Chapter 3127).
- (E) The guardian of a minor ward’s estate must demonstrate that the ward’s parent(s) are unable to fulfill their responsibility to support the ward before the Court will consider allowing an expenditure from the ward’s estate for the purpose of the ward’s support, maintenance, medical care or education.